Saturday, 15 August 2026

Musings on the LG BP175 blu ray and DVD Player

 

A few years back, probably sometime before the pandemic (time is wanky when you are retired), I bough tthe LG BP 175 all region blu ray and DVD player from 220 Electronics. I had a SONY all region blu ray and DVD player, which I also bought from 220 Electronics but I had recently purchased an inexpensive LG TV since I wanted to replace the one I had, which was an inexpensive all region Sharp TV, which I also bought from 220 Electronics. Why?  Because the Sharp required a digital tuner and I did not want to screw around with the digital tuner any longer. 

As of today the Sharp TV which needs a digital tuner, the SONY BDP blu ray and DVD player, and the LG TV still work. The LG BP 175 does not, however. On Thursday, two days after I had watched House of Cards, which was a region B blu ray, on the LG player the LG BP 175 suddenly stopped working. I could play DVDs but I could not play any region blu rays. Fortunately, I still had the SONY blu ray and DVD player so I switched out the blu ray and DVD players on my TVs which unfortunately required some heavy labour.

So why am I telling you this? I am telling you this because I want you to think twice before you buy an LG blu ray and DVD player. I would rank it below average and certainly well below the much superior SONY BDP blu ray and DVD player. But didn’t we know that already? 

Anyway, caveat emptor to those thinking of buying an LG blu ray and DVD player. For my money it is a piece of crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment