Friday 15 May 2015

You Dropped a Bomb on Me: The CBC, William Shatner, and Violent Laughing in the Canadian Rockies

One of my most vivid memories is hearing a CBC radio show on Shatner's and Nimoy's musical legacies as my then friend Lea Dainielsen and me were coming out of the mountains of Alberta and BC. Lea and I were spending our August and September exploring the American and Canadian Rockies from the Snake River to Grand Teton, from Yellowstone to Glacier (my and Lea's favourite), from Elk Island to Jasper and Banff, and from Yoho to Kootenay. It was one of the funniest things I ever heard. When the commentator played the full version of Shatner's overwrought adaptation of the Beatles "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", both Lea and I lost it. We laughed so hard that we both thought I was going to crash my '77 Camaro. Thankfully--though many of you might disagree here--I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment